SOUND of SCIENCE: Tesla Science Center
Saturday, August 28th 6:30 PM - 10:00 PM
Participants must Purchase or Volunteer for tickets from Tesla Science Center prior to registering!
Come to The Holy Grounds of The Tesla Science Center where we will meetup as usual, but also Enjoy The SOUND of SCIENCE. TOCNYS members will be given their own exhibit section (just look for the other Tesla vehicles) to show off and display your Tesla - a great opportunity to get together on the grounds of our vehicles' namesake!
To secure parking at Tesla Vehicle Exhibit, arrive no later then 6:30 PM.
SOUND OF SCIENCE is an immersive musical evening that celebrates the scientific wonders of Tesla’s universe and the connections between science and music.
Whether you are a science fan or lover of extraordinary music experiences, the Sound of Science pushes the boundaries of a traditional music event. The concert features the Rites of Spring (RoS) ensemble, a group that embodies the spirit of new music culture and is dedicated to performing innovative, collaborative, and exciting works of living composers and contemporary works of composers from the recent past.
You’ll hear new music being performed in a one-of-a-kind setting at Wardenclyffe, the last remaining laboratory of inventor Nikola Tesla. The historic grounds make a unique open-air theater with Tesla’s famous tower base as center stage and his laboratory as a backdrop. The evening starts at 7 pm with an interactive surround-sound experience on the octagonal tower base along with exhibits featuring singing Tesla coils, theremin, and the science of sound. At 8 pm the Rites of Spring ensemble will perform an electric music concert featuring new music by Kanasevich, Mazzoli, Clyne, Akiho, Rodriguez, Romitelli, and Little. Food, beverages, and specialty merchandise will be available for purchase.
7:00 – 8:00 pm: Explore hands-on exhibits and activities featuring the science of sound. Food and beverage will be available for purchase, including Tesla-inspired Frequency wine from Paumanok Vineyards.
- Singing Tesla coils, theremin, and science of sound exhibits and demonstrations
- Exclusive artwork merchandise sale
- Music and sound tech vendors and artisans
- SOIL – Gleb Kanasevich
Innovative music experience on Tesla’s octagonal tower base featuring 8 speakers for a powerfully symbolic performance
8:00 – 8:45 pm: PART I
- WELCOME – Tribute to Nikola Tesla
VESPERS for VIOLIN and ELECTRONICS – Missy Mazzoli
re: WRITE – Andrew Rodriguez
- Flute, percussion, electronics
FITS and STARTS – Anna Clyne
- Amplified cello and audio
TRASH TV TRANCE – Fausto Romitelli
- Electric guitar, electronics
8:45 – 9:00 pm: INTERMISSION
9:00 – 9:30 pm: PART II
GHOSTLIGHT – David T. Little
- Sextet performance for flute (piccolo, percussion), clarinet (bass clarinet), piano, percussion (electronics), violin, and cello
- Performed by Rites of Spring Ensemble: Ginevra Petrucci/Flute, Tyler Neidermayer/Clarinet, Clara Kim/Violin, Audrey Chen/Cello, Dan Lippel/Electric Guitar, Dan Pate/Percussion, Paolo Bartolani/Synthesizer / Piano
- CLOSING CEREMONY
- End your evening with a final tribute featuring audience participation
Join our TOCNYS-Events Slack Workspace, then accept the invite to join the #sound-of-science Channel. Here you can post updates, questions, Check-In and see where everyone's at, and even stay in touch.
Event Organizer: Carson J Gallo - 631-397-1714